Building Community: one grocery trip at a time

photo credit: crimsong19 Building Community: One Grocery Trip at a Time With Aaron, my son with the label of autism, every trip to the grocery is an adventure. Before we go, I usually do an ecological assessment (click here) and use some of the skills Aaron learned in...

What is Charity and Love?

photo credit: djwhelan Every day we read about good people planning charity events for people with disabilities. I’m not sure how I feel about this. Wait! You are wondering how I can be an advocate for people with disabilities and not just jump up and down when...

Love–NOT Labels: Rosa’s Law

Love–NOT Labels With families, “Love” is all that matters–no matter what, unconditionally. The love we feel for our child, our baby, our sister, brother, son, daughter can never be replaced by a medical or psychological term some professional...

The Power of ONE

photo credit: horizontal.integration Today is Jan. 1 Could this be the year of the Power of One? We can celebrate with fireworks, silly hats, black-eyed peas and sauerkraut. We can dress in yellow (for prosperity) or white (for peace) while throwing pomegranate seeds...

The Race Toward Inclusion| Do you see it?

photo credit: Sister72 The Race Toward Inclusion| Do you see it? I love this picture. It reminds me of many of my favorite quotes: “The real voyage of discovery is not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes.” Proust “No one’s blinder, than s/he who will not...

Unequal Justice | Bob Perske

In Bob Perske’s memory, I’m posting some of my favorite posts about him. On January 7, 2011, Colorado Governor Bill Ritter, Jr. issued a “posthumous pardon” to Arridy, one of the five wrongly executed people with intellectual disabilities. BOB...